Order of the Dragon Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Menu
Dueling Activities

New Entrance Testing Rubric

Go down

New Entrance Testing Rubric Empty New Entrance Testing Rubric

Post by Remy LeBeau Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:29 pm

Tester's Deck
Testee's Deck

Duel Results: ?/25
10 per win bonus 5 if both duels are won

Deck Commonness: ?/25
If expected to be a extremely common deck testee will receive a 0

Misplays: ?/20
20 points are given for free, but -4 points for each misplay

Duel Skill: ?/20
Not based off wins but the testee's overall skill as a duelist

Flexibility: ?/20
Testee's ability to adapt to various circumstances as well as the effectiveness of siding, where applicable

Duel Control: ?/20
Based of how the tester feels the testee controlled the duel

Use of Cards: ?/20
ITestee's skill in the usage of individual cards throughout a duel

Deck Consistency: ?/15
How well the Testee's deck flows, and how effectively does it allow plays to be made

Card Knowledge: ?/15
Testee's understanding of card effects and basic effect mechanics

Entrance Test Total Score: /200
Testee's Dorm Placement

• Timaeus Blue Dorm: 170 - 200
  • Critias Purple Dorm: 120 - 169
  • Hermos Red Dorm: 0 - 119

Banned Decks:

Decks That Utilize Alternate Win Conditions
Deck Ex. Exodia, Final Countdown, Decking Out/Milling, Vennominaga, and Etc.
Note: Deck's that "Stall" in order to deck you out is included in here(Cards that stop you from attacking for a turn do not count, also Control =/= Stall they're not the same, so I'll be clearing that mix-up here)

Decks Whose Sole Purpose Is To Utilize Card Effects To Deplete/Increase Opponent's LP
Deck Ex. Chain Burn, Self-Destruct Button, and Etc.
Note: You can use these cards, but cannot have your deck solely based on this concept.

Last edited by Remy LeBeau on Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:39 pm; edited 19 times in total (Reason for editing : New dorms)
Remy LeBeau
Remy LeBeau
Admin
Admin

Duel Points : 2615

http://www.theduelacademy.com

Back to top Go down

New Entrance Testing Rubric Empty Re: New Entrance Testing Rubric

Post by Guest Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:37 pm

changes the rubric please read!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:43 pm

^I changed it so that it's mandatory

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:44 pm

No Lrn2Read. No optional in there buddeh.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:01 pm

I think the point values are are spread too much.
I realize it makes the scores more "accurate," but I just feel that testers are going to give random numbers (guessing) based on a general idea of where they think the testee is at.

The "Consistency Score" and "Main Deck Score" should be combined, in my opinion.
I see the two scores depend on each other; if one is low, the other is likely to be low as well.
Maybe re-look some of the different categories and see if they are truly necessary.

I liked the simple feel of the old rubric, but I definitely think it could have used improvements, just not this drastic.

Last edited by Jim Cook on Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:33 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:28 pm

My god, this is so confusing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:12 am

I agree with Jim Cook. What is the point of all this? I have been practicing my butt off based on the old rubric and all of a sudden it changes. Also why is there an Extra Deck score now? What about people who don't use an Extra Deck?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:55 am

This looks really professional, I approve.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:27 am

Jim Cook wrote:I think the point values are are spread too much.
I realize it makes the scores more "accurate," but I just feel that testers are going to give random numbers (guessing) based on a general idea of where they think the testee is at.

The "Consistency Score" and "Main Deck Score" should be combined, in my opinion.
I see the two scores depend on each other; if one is low, the other is likely to be low as well.
Maybe re-look some of the different categories and see if they are truly necessary.

I liked the simple feel of the old rubric, but I definitely think it could have used improvements, just not this drastic.
Lol for some reason I did not catch the consistency AND main deck score. Yeah, that needs to be fixed. But still, this rubric is still 1000x better than the old one.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:45 pm

That's your opinion, but the one thing that could REALLY make it better would be the testers actually commenting on every section and explaining why they scored the way they did.

If they don't write down why they received those scores, then the tester is going to forget.
If the tester forgets, or if there are no explanations at all, then the testee isn't going to be able to disagree with the score given.

I realize that can be a lot of extra work with all of these different types of scores, but again, just condense some of them.
Another one that could be condensed is "Testee's Card Ruling Knowledge" (This is for whether or not the Testee knew the rulings for their own cards) and Testee's Use Of Cards.

One last thing: I think the dorm placement scores should be changed, mainly for Timaeus.
It seems too easy to get into Critias and too hard to get into Timaeus and possibly Hermos.
For Hermos, it just seems that the amount of points available makes it easy to just hop right over it, but I could be entirely wrong about that, so I'll move on.
Timaeus is the opposite, there's so many points available that it seems much harder to get in that 100 point range. Maybe increase the range to 476-600, or even 451-600.

Either way, I think the whole thing can still be improved.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:12 pm

Jim Cook wrote:That's your opinion, but the one thing that could REALLY make it better would be the testers actually commenting on every section and explaining why they scored the way they did.

If they don't write down why they received those scores, then the tester is going to forget.
If the tester forgets, or if there are no explanations at all, then the testee isn't going to be able to disagree with the score given.

I realize that can be a lot of extra work with all of these different types of scores, but again, just condense some of them.
Another one that could be condensed is "Testee's Card Ruling Knowledge" (This is for whether or not the Testee knew the rulings for their own cards) and Testee's Use Of Cards.

One last thing: I think the dorm placement scores should be changed, mainly for Timaeus.
It seems too easy to get into Critias and too hard to get into Timaeus and possibly Hermos.
For Hermos, it just seems that the amount of points available makes it easy to just hop right over it, but I could be entirely wrong about that, so I'll move on.
Timaeus is the opposite, there's so many points available that it seems much harder to get in that 100 point range. Maybe increase the range to 476-600, or even 451-600.

Either way, I think the whole thing can still be improved.
No. No. oh, and no.

Use of cards is how well you use the cards you have in a given situation. This has nothing to do with rulings, because rulings have nothing to do with cards, they deal with the game mechanics and the exceptions to these game mechanics.

It is SUPPOSED to be hard to get into Timaeus, there is a REASON it is the top dorm that you can be tested into, and it is SUPPOSED to be easy to hop over Hermos. Hermos is basically, I hate to say it, for noobs. Critias is for average level duelists, so common sense tells you that there are more AVERAGE level duelists than advanced level duelists, or noobs.

And yes, tester's should give reasoning as to why they scored how they did, and it doesn't have to be much. Like a sentence or two in each section, and many sections like Match Results don't even need an explanation.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:45 pm

^I'll revise it over then

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:13 pm

I think this is good as it is. Only thing I see that needs changed is requiring testers to give some sort of reasoning on why they scored how they did. And like I said, no more than a sentence or two.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:22 pm

I want to see YOU retest and see where you're placed.
I'm not an idiot; I know that Hermos is the lowest followed by Critias and Timaeus, but you still have to score high to get into Timaeus, I just think you shouldn't have to score AS high.

I also want to know what Blair thinks of this.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:23 pm

Jim Cook wrote:I want to see YOU retest and see where you're placed.
I'm not an idiot; I know that Hermos is the lowest followed by Critias and Timaeus, but you still have to score high to get into Timaeus, I just think you shouldn't have to score AS high.

I also want to know what Blair thinks of this.
All dah hate. Dah hate too unbearable. I'll be honest with you, I think if I retested, then I'd get Critias. In my opinion I should have gotten that in the first place. Timaeus is for pros like Rosie.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:16 pm

The main issue with the old rubric was the fact that there were far too many free marks being given away for concentration and card knowledge. I think that this new rubric could possibly be reformatted in the future to look simpler (the explanations for each category honestly does not need to be there, especially if testers are too give a brief explanation for each category in their results anyway), but I like how there aren't as many free marks available here. However, I'm not sure what to think about the extra deck category. If we're supposed to have the testee actually show us their extra deck, then that category might be ok, but that would be the only case in which it would be; we can't determine how flexible or effective their extra deck choices are if they only summon a few monsters from it, and really, nobody is going to summon all 15 monsters in one duel anyway. There are similar issues with siding, in that testers can't really know how well a testee is siding because the testee simply might not get to draw the sided cards. There really isn't much that can be done about this though, and I do feel that siding should be incorporated into the rubric somehow, so I think it's just up to the tester in this case. Another thing is that a testee can't show his side deck to a tester like they can with their extra deck, unless they screencap their entire deck, but I don't think that's something we really should be asking testees to do just for a dorm test. The side deck category isn't worth a whole lot of points, and I actually think the mark ranges are lenient enough that if you win the match solidly and with strong gameplay, you should get into timaeus. What this means for testers is that they need to mark some aspects easier than they did before, and some aspects a bit harder perhaps.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:27 pm

(GX) Blair Flannigan wrote:The main issue with the old rubric was the fact that there were far too many free marks being given away for concentration and card knowledge. I think that this new rubric could possibly be reformatted in the future to look simpler (the explanations for each category honestly does not need to be there, especially if testers are too give a brief explanation for each category in their results anyway), but I like how there aren't as many free marks available here. However, I'm not sure what to think about the extra deck category. If we're supposed to have the testee actually show us their extra deck, then that category might be ok, but that would be the only case in which it would be; we can't determine how flexible or effective their extra deck choices are if they only summon a few monsters from it, and really, nobody is going to summon all 15 monsters in one duel anyway. There are similar issues with siding, in that testers can't really know how well a testee is siding because the testee simply might not get to draw the sided cards. There really isn't much that can be done about this though, and I do feel that siding should be incorporated into the rubric somehow, so I think it's just up to the tester in this case. Another thing is that a testee can't show his side deck to a tester like they can with their extra deck, unless they screencap their entire deck, but I don't think that's something we really should be asking testees to do just for a dorm test. The side deck category isn't worth a whole lot of points, and I actually think the mark ranges are lenient enough that if you win the match solidly and with strong gameplay, you should get into timaeus. What this means for testers is that they need to mark some aspects easier than they did before, and some aspects a bit harder perhaps.
they can screenshot what they sided in and what they sided out

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:29 pm

That's essentially screenshotting their whole deck though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:32 pm

(GX) Blair Flannigan wrote:That's essentially screenshotting their whole deck though.
is that bad?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:35 pm

I don't think we should require testees to basically be giving their decks to people just for a dorm test.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:35 pm

The extra deck part should not be needed for an entrance exam. (or any exam)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:37 pm

(GX) Blair Flannigan wrote:I don't think we should require testees to basically be giving their decks to people just for a dorm test.
i guess that makes sense.

so i think the extra deck and siding thing is silly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:57 pm

*puzzled* Why is there a gator on you back. . . isn't that a safety hazard?

Back to top Go down

New Entrance Testing Rubric Empty I need to be tested.

Post by Guest Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:45 pm

Can someone test me so I know what dorm I'm in?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down